Saturday, February 2, 2008

Still Too Much

Andover, MA
Saturday, February 2, 2008, Groundhog Day, one day before the Superbowl - and all I can think of is "I wonder if they made it?" Any of the men and women we met. They had to try, as one said to us, "I would rather die trying than stay at home and see my family suffer because I hadn't." So they kept on throwing themselves at the border.

I have been trying to sort all of this out and to be able to answer the questions I undoubtedly will get at church tomorrow, "So what did you learn - how was it?" And I haven't had it all fall into one nifty trim little sentence yet. Maybe that's because it isn't neat or tidy. It is a broken mess - a failed border policy that doesn't work - a failed treaty that ends up hurting more than it ever helped - an economy so dominated by old arcane Conquistador hierarchies that it produces both the richest man in the world and many of its poorest. How do you put that into a sentence, let alone discerning what God would have me do and say and be as a result of having gone there?

No comments: