Thursday, November 20, 2008

Rock Concert


Last night at school I experienced a edu-nerd's delight. The class was set up to be a lecture and discussion with Max Stackhouse, one of the most prolific writers in the field of theology. Max's specialty is the ethics of globalization and creating "moral business." But Max brought with him one of the foremost legal ethicists to critique and cross-examine him. And following them were a cadre of Boston's finest theological and legal minds.

And just when we were getting seated, in walked another, and I should mention, unsuspected icon; Harvey Cox. I know that might not mean much to some of you, but for me it was like being at a Bruce Springsteen concert and having Jackson Browne walk on to the stage, just for fun, to jam with his old pal.

Now Max has written over a hundred books and is without question an authority, but none has ever made the NYT Bestseller list. Harvey has done it three times - The Secular City, Feast of Fools, and Seduction of the Spirit. I was in geek heaven! I got to listen and then ask questions of some of the greatest thinkers in my beloved field.


Interestingly one of my classmates asked me afterward why I had not challenged Max like I do so often in class - Was I worried or just respectful? My answer came from my dad - "when you are in the presence of a master, shut up and take notes!" I say, when you are at the concert with The Boss, listen and enjoy the music!

Rock on!

No comments: