Saturday, February 14, 2009

Faith's Bottom Line

I have written several times about how belief is that which you do when there is no reason to believe, but I want to make some clarifications to the general idea. I also noted that I had recently read Richard Rohr’s book on Job and how Job had never doubted the existence of god. When these two come together, it requires some explanation.

God is. Period – end of story, good bye, thank you very much! There is no ifs ands or buts about it for me. And yet with that, I concede that there is no scientific evidence to “prove” god’s existence. It is my belief, my faith that I stand on when I assert that. But let me be clear that it is not my saying so that makes god exist for me. I exist in god’s world, and I exist as a part of the overall divine manifestation in this world. My faith and my belief has only to do with my understanding of that and my relationship with that.

I had heard that a great master was once asked if he believed in god. He answered that he existed in god’s kingdom to which the questioner repeated, “but do you believe in god?” This ping pong match continued for several rounds with the master never conceding to answer the direct question of belief. Ultimately he said tat those who “believe in god” suffer from and live in a world of doubt.

So these two exist: belief and is-ness, and where they come together is in the verse from Mark 9. I do believe (I am certain the god is) help me in my unbelief (those times when I need evidence and proof). Job is the embodiment of this human struggle between an absolute faith in the existence and reality of god and a human need to hang one’s belief on some evidence or sign of objective reality.

3 comments:

Sarah Girrell said...

your post raises a question that has been with me for a long time now. you write that "god is" and that "I exist in god’s world, and I exist as a part of the overall divine manifestation in this world. My faith and my belief has only to do with my understanding of that and my relationship with that." and i'm not here to question whether or not god exists - that's not the point. it is evident in how you live and write that god exists to you and that this belief colors much of your actions. so my question is not "is god?" but rather "what if god isn't to me?"

truth be told i envy firm believers - i know it's not easy work, but i imagine that it's like having a security blanket and a voice in your ear daring you to be brave and good, whispering do it, do it, i gotchya every day. and i love the idea that someone/thing loves and accepts me 100% "Period – end of story, good bye, thank you very much!" but i have no idea what that's like. at all.

i am not moved or called to believe. i don't have a relationship with jesus or the bible. that's not where i find grace and divinity. and my question is not what would you say to me specifically, but rather a more rhetorical what do you say to the "uncalled" in general?

just a little fodder for the seminarian fire...

Unknown said...

Gosh, I never noticed that you had commented here - I don't get a ping when someone comments. My response might not be what you expect: I firmly believe that the questioners are the only "true" believers (messing with words a bit). My certainty is not nearly as certain as the words "god is" might seem to communicate. In fact most of the time I can't find god - as in god isn't - for me. It is only that at some rare times when I trip over the obviosness of god's presence that I rediscover god's existence in my life. Then I go blind and dumb again. The mix is about 90% idiot time and maybe 10% in the presence. Even then I seem to find grace and divinity in the compassion I feel or the compassion I receive for and from other struggling humanoids like myself. And the real truth is I kind of don't trust people who say they have a nice neat everyday present religion. I think believing is living in doubt.

Sarah Girrell said...

hm. i get that believing is questioning, but living in doubt?? i don't want to be in a doubtful relationship with anyone or anything. imagine if i'd said to you, "dad, i think i've found the man for me: there are just these great, rare moments where i'm overcome with his love...but the rest of the time....well, i'm not so sure." that's rediculous! and why should my relationship with god be any different - or function with different, lower expectations than my relationships with other beings?

there has to be a happy medium. if ignorant bliss is still ignorant and 90% idiot is my only other option, then i think we're missing something big.