Friday, December 26, 2008

Testamony to a Great Man

A little more than 20 years ago I was involved in a rather nasty set of events that resulted in my divorce. My ex, a wonderful woman, professional and mother eventually ended up building a life and relationship with another man. John was a farmer but so much more. Running an organic farm just a mile down the road from my refuge at the time, Karme Choling, I am certain John, too, was a frequenter of their halls in those days. He had a depth and a quiet spirit that I admired. He epitomized the salt of the earth and gave a stability and grace to the growing-up days of my two girls, who remained behind with their mom when I left.

I never really got to know him much because I only saw him at dance recitals, weddings and graduations. But to me his testimony and his legacy are evidenced in the exquisite women that my girls have grown into. Both have chosen great men, but especially my younger (three at the time of the divorce), who was most influenced by John, chose a strong, silent and peaceful man like him. I am certain that his fathering was a source of much of her understanding and choosing a mate. But John also loved and cared for their mom, most likely in ways I could not and did not. He was calm, and accepting, and seemed (from my vantage point) to never expect more of her than who she was. And when his body began to fail him, she hung in and cared for him in a way that he deserved.

John died this morning, leaving behind a world a little less stable for lacking the pillar that he was. Thank you, John. I wish I could have told you how very great I thought you were.

No comments: