Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Regression to the Mean

I have been watching and following the posts of my daughter, an ordained minister, while she attends her church's national convention. Mostly I had hopes for what she might be able to do as (and this is not just a father talking) she is both brilliant and magnificently articulate. I prefer to listen to her podcast sermons than actually attending my own church. And her ability to shape and present a cogent position on nearly any subject is inspiring. Her youtube post called "It's not a Sin to be Gay" is a great example But what I forgot is that when you put ten thousand people in the room together there is that old statistical problem of regression to the mean. Essentially the greater the number the more likely the overwhelming majority will center around the middle - in this case that which would not rock the boat; that which would not be upsetting; the status quo. Many equally brilliant orators spoke on the topics for which she was passionate - reproductive rights and total inclusion - and the masses of the regression rolled over them all like some gigantic tsunami. It was washed clean and wiped out as if there were no discussion at all. I experienced the same a few years ago at a regional conference of my denomination. Also speaking to radical inclusion as part of our policy on Human Sexuality, the masses quoted Martin Luther and the need to stand strong on his polity of the 1500's. There was no recognition of the practice Jesus modeled of inclusion, there was no discussion of the meaning of love. The masses quoted Martin to me. And I left. My prayer this day is that my passionate daughter might not be so easily dissuaded. I am so proud of her and of her stand, I would hate for it to be swept away by the next tsunami. You go, Becca!

No comments: